Syllables, Syllables, Syllables

Syllables, Syllables, Syllables

Teaching syllables to kids can be so much fun.  Syllables are parts of words.  These can be taught using the child’s name.  Clap each syllable as you pronounce each syllable.  You can start with the names list that you created for teaching the alphabet.  For example, one could clap and pronounce Mi-kay-la.  Ask the child if they heard 3 parts.  Most likely the child will say yes, because she heard you clap three times.

 

One activity that helps kids with identifying syllables  is to categorize them into a chart that is labled 1 clap words, 2 clap words and 3 clap words.  Here is an example of a chart with names.

 

1 Clap 

Tom

Jim

Brocke

 

2 Claps 

Joanne

Katelyn

Debbie

3 Claps 

Virginia

Brianna

Eliza

 

 

Each syllable will contain one vowel sound.  There are six syllable patterns that make up 75% of the words that we read.  The other 25% of the words are words that do not follow the patterns and need to be memorized.  The syllable patterns are closed, open, silent e, bossy r, two vowels, and consonant + le.

Hearing syllables is a much easier task than seeing syllables, so start with sorting words by how many syllables a word has before you start breaking words up into syllables.  Over the course of this month you are going to learn about each of these patterns and how to teach them to young ones.

 

How many syllables does your name have?  How many vowel sounds does your name have?  Is it the same number?

Comments

  1. I love this and its so much fun :-)

    My children are being taught interesting things… bossy e? ok if it works I guess it works. Y the sound thief… thats kind of cute lol

    Name Is Teri so It has too. It follow :-) but a name like Aurora does not :-) only 3! love au
    Teri Gelseth recently posted..Soup – that perfect winter standbyMy Profile

Trackbacks

  1. [...] Syllables, Syllables, Syllables (skypingreadingtutor.com) [...]

Speak Your Mind

*


CommentLuv badge

s2Member®